Thursday, March 28, 2013

Sequels: The Good, The Bad, The Underrated and The Forgotten. Part 3.



Oh I love sequels, oh so much. I just love being able to watch a second, third, fourth instalment of a film series and just enjoy the fun of it. There have been many sequels out there which are in my viewing schedule quite frequently, and sure I get a lot of flack for my favourites, but I just don't care! A lot of people say I don't have a serious taste in movies because the films I like are quite fun, action packed, silly or have been described as 'colourful'. While I may enjoy all those elements I can have a serous side to what I like. But unfortunately with sequels not many of them can be taken completely seriously. I feel I bond with sequels in that way. For a long time I was the bastard child, the black sheep, the one no one takes seriously because I am not serious a lot of the time. And a lot of sequels out there aren't serious but I have found that most sequels I have watched are far from boring. I think as a group of cinema goers that we should all get together and just accept that sequels are not going anywhere. As long as a movie makes a tonne of movie and a sequel can be easily put into play, they will not be leaving our cinema screens any time soon. Just embrace them.  I have compiled a list of sequels, that I came across in my collection which need honourable mentions. But before I give you my list, I want to show you my love and appreciation for what I consider to be some of my most favourite sequels of all time. Judge me if you like, but I get enjoyment out of these!

Anyone out there that truly knows me, that I am a huge fan of the Rocky franchise. It is a franchise that I grew up adoring, and the older I got, the more I began to really understand the heart, soul and depth that Stallone and Shire possess in these series of films. The sequel I find to be the strongest in the entire franchise is 'Rocky II'. Why? Because we see Rocky's fall from grace. Before he was an underdog with nothing to lose. But in 'Rocky II', he has everything to lose, and he is struggling with this as well struggling with his heart to do what is right for him. Some may say that it conveys a lot of the same elements as the first film. And that is true it certainly does, and while the heart is the same as the first film, the storyline and emotion is completely different. It is beautiful seeing Rocky finally having something to live for and love, and the struggle to keep what he has is a great one. When the finale comes around it makes that struggle all the more worth it. If you were to ask me what my favourite sequel was at age 16, I would have totally said Rocky IV, but I have now lived in the world and experienced a lot more things, and while I do love many montages and a Swedish martial artist pretending to be Russian, my heart lies with 'Rocky II'. One of my favourite scenes is when Rocky asks Adrian to marry him at the zoo, and it is incredibly sweet and charming, so let's just re-watch that for a minute. This video makes me god damn happy. I think the love between Rocky and Adrian is incredibly real, honest and strong and very subtly conveyed. But that is what makes it all the the more powerful and beautiful. 'Rocky II' is one of the greatest stories ever told, and it is truly the greatest love story ever portrayed on screen.



Another sequel which I feel deserves recognition because it has been slated BADLY by critics and audiences alike is...Jaws: The Revenge. I really enjoy this film, because I take it for what it is. Everyone knows its badly written, the dialogue is just awkward, the story was written by someone who was watching all the Jaws movies while taking a mixture of LSD and Ecstasy, and the acting is just all kinds of terrible. HOWEVER, tie all these elements together with a shark that roars, and you got yourself a comedy. I laugh my ass off watching this film, and I do not need to be drunk, or high off Cherry Coke. Oh no, I will watch this any day of the week, and still find it so hilariously bad. It is entertaining, and it has a lot of charm and wit, even though it does not intend to. The concept is just crazy, I mean seriously can a shark follow Ellen Brody from Martha's Vineyard AKA Amity Island all the way to the FREAKIN' BAHAMAS? And get there before she does? NO! But this film makes it seem like it's possible. Everyone love's revenge films right? Well see this as a revenge movie, but instead of Charles Bronson killing everyone, you have a great white shark trying to get it's revenge on the Brody family. Have I at least convinced you to watch this hilarious pile of trash? I hope so.

You totally weren't expecting to see this sequel in this series were you? Admit it!!!! Okay firstly I need to get this out of the way before I go into why I love this so much...Do you all want to know why I rented this film as a ten year old? I saw the front cover and thought several things. The first was 'HOLY SHIT GUTTENBERG, I FREAKIN' LOVE POLICE ACADEMY'...and then I saw dear old Tom Selleck and thought this 'Now THAT is one HELL OF A MOUSTACHE, I need to rent this'. I pretty much rented this because of the awesomeness of Selleck's Mo'. It was a good choice. I remember going to the deli next door the video store, and buying a chocolate milk and going home to watch this movie. It was one of the best experiences of my childhood. I found the film to be extremely funny, and I loved the different dynamics of the family and how each one of these men play a dad to Mary, but they all have different qualities to one another, but it proves to be a good balance. This is still a favourite of mine to this day, I actually saw the sequel of 'Three Men and a Little Lady' before I saw 'Three Men and a Baby', and I have to say the sequel is a tonne better. I think because Mary can give sass and have her own mind. I also lov the montage at the beginning of the film, which shows Mary growing up and how her family have come together and become as close as they are.  But we all know what the best scene in the whole film is...YES YOU KNOW WHAT'S COMING...Selleck, Guttenberg and Danson RAPPING!!!  Enjoy it my friends.


 I have always been a huge fan of Eddie Murphy, and I believe that his best film is hands down 'Beverly Hills Cop 2'. It is also the funniest and most well made film in that franchise. Now I know that is such a huge call to make, because the first is freakin' funny, and it does have some awesome scenes. But the second I think is a little more dark in some ways. But the situations Axel Foley get's himself into are just hilarious. And I also love his two sidekicks Billy Rosewood and John Taggart, because as much as they don't want to go along with all of Axel's shenanigans, they find themselves just doing what he says anyway.  I think this is also far more of an action packed movie, and it goes hand in hand with such a strong and simple storyline, which I think can be hard to do for sequels of this genre. Buddy cop films I have found to be pretty good, in terms of sequels so I think they have gone quite unscathed from the critics compared to a lot of your run of your action movie sequels. But having said that I have found them to be still under appreciated as a genre.  

And for my final favourite, I had to include the mixed martial arts movie,'Undisputed III'. There will never be enough words to describe my love for this film. Why? It is a simple storyline with just a lot of people kicking the absolute shit out of one another. I was actually very stupid and ignorant for not wanting to check these movies out a while ago because the DVD covers just didn't sell it to me. I then decided to sit down and watch them, and my god was I surprised. Scott Adkins can fight, he has legs like a wood chipper. Sure 'Undisputed II' was awesome because you see Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins battle it out, 'Undisputed III' is all about Adkins's character, Yuri Boyka. While he is a bad guy in the first sequel in the third instalment of the franchise he changes his ways but not his badassery. He retrains himself and he is more kickass than ever! I have a lot of love for this film, because it is extremely violent, it's about underground prison fighting which shows off all the words best fighters and it has freakin' Scott Adkins in it, so either way I am a happy girl. Do not get put off by this, and think 'oh it's just another mindless martial arts sequel'. It is one of the best sequels to come out in a long time, and it doesn't pretend to be 'Enter the Dragon' or anything like that. 'Undisputed III' knows exactly what it is. Pure fun and entertainment, and it's full of FREAKIN' KICKASSERY. 

These are just the several sequels that have helped shape me and watching them has always been a memorable experience, whether I have cried watching 'Rocky II', or laughed my ass off during 'Jaws: The Revenge'. Now I told you I went through my collection of movies and found sequels which deserve a mention so here is a list I have compiled for you. I hope you have seen some of these movies and can agree, and if you haven't seen them, get your ass down to the video store. 

  • Halloween III
  • The French Connection II
  • Batman Returns
  • Batman Forever
  • Robocop II
  • Evil Dead II
  • Superman II
  • Superman III
  • Jaws II
  • Aliens
  • Kill Bill Part II
  • Thunderball
  • Licence to Kill
  • The Man with the Golden Gun
  • Bride of Frankenstein
  • Rugrats in Paris
  • Wrath of Khan
  • Problem Child 2
  • Lethal Weapon 2
  • Rocky III
  • Rocky IV
  • Gremlins : New Batch
  • Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
  • A Very Brady Sequel
  • Clerks II
  • Karate Kid Part II
  • Karate Kid Part III
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze
  • Jewel of the Nile
  • Infernal Affairs II
  • Expendables 2
  • Rambo II
  • Rambo III
  • King of the Kickboxers II :American Shaolin
  • Wayne's World 2
  • Hot Shots: Part Deux
  • Ghostbusters 2
  • Rush Hour 2
  • Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows
  • Another 48 hours
  • Hannibal
  • Red Dragon
  • Hannibal Rising
  • Home Alone 2 :Lost in New York
  • Grease 2
  • Saw III
  • Kickboxer II: The Road Back
  • Bloodsport II

I hope in this three part series you have grown a little bit more appreciation for the sequels that are out there and rediscovered old favourites as well as branched out and decided you want to watch some of these sequels you haven't seen before. I love these movies for what they are and what they have to offer me in terms of entertainment. I try not to focus on what they didn't give me, because I find that clouds judgement and also makes people narrow minded. Accept the sequels in your life and enjoy some pure fun, your life will be richer for it! 














No comments:

Post a Comment