Monday, January 7, 2013

Bigger Stronger Faster

When you were a kid did you admire an action hero or sportsman? I think it's safe to say we all did. But what would you do if the very people you admired wanted to be like, were cheats? Would you be upset, or would you have the mentality of 'well if you can't beat them, join them'? 

Chris Bell is the director of this documentary and as well as the 'heroes', this is also based around his life, and how the use of anabolic steroids has affected his family too.

This isn't a bias documentary, which badmouths the use of steroids.  Both point of views are shown, and it is very fair. We see the many celebs taking the steroids, which a lot of it is for cosmetic reasons, and then we see the sport stars who take them and the controversy surrounding them, when uncovered that they are in fact a drug cheat. 
It is actually quite sad to see the amount of lives have been ruined by steroids, but at the same time a lot of lives have been saved by steroids too. 

While watching this documentary you understand Chris Bell's curiosity and eagerness to find out why people feel the need to use steroids. The two people he questions most about this, are his two brothers. One of his brothers Mike Bell is on the juice and is determined to become a famous WWE wrestler. He used to be what people call in the wrestling industry as 'jobber' which means you go and fight the big named wrestlers and you lose to them. The more you watch this documentary, the more you realise how incredibly delusional he really is. At a point you do feel sorry for him, because it would take him a miracle to actually get over this dream, which won't ever happen. Unfortunately though Mike Bell passed away not long after the documentary was released. 

As a huge fan of action heroes, I have always been under the impression they took steroids, so being told this in the documentary was no surprise. But I have to say I did feel sorry for Chris Bell, because his whole life revolved around him being just like them, yet he didn't realise they were on the juice. I would have thought it was blatantly obvious that they were on steroids, but I guess if you grow up idolising these people, it is a hard thing to admit. And like I said I know my heroes have been on or are still on steroids but it actually doesn't bother me, because at the end of the day I am purely getting entertained by them in their movies, so if they feel that steroids helps them in looking their best for the roles, then so be it. 

This documentary explores a lot of issues, and when I first watched it, it definitely taught me things about the drug and gave me a new perspective on it. And growing up in a family where sport was a huge thing, it helped me understand a little better why athletes feel they need to be the best. I know steroids are wrong when it comes to competing in sport, but can you imagine the athletes we would have, if EVERYONE was taking steroids and it was legal? Jesus Christ man, records would be getting broken left right and centre, and I am not gonna lie, it would be pretty damn entertaining. I am not saying that it's the right thing to do at all, but don't like to yourself and admit it would be kinda awesome to see. 

In magazines, women are told they need to look a certain way and dress a certain way if they want to be successful whether it's getting a job or in relationships. And obviously there are a lot of women who have eating disorders because they think they are overweight. Now this is the same for men, but instead of starving themselves, they are going the opposite way and wanting to be big and muscular. I think it is safe to say a lot, if not over 50% of men would want to be buff in some way, shape or form. And whether they need to do this for sport or just cosmetic reasons, at the end of the day, they have to be feeling just a tad bit crappy about themselves to want to inject themselves with steroids. 

This documentary makes me understand why the action heroes, did what they did, as far as steroids go. I mean sure they would have had to put a lot of hours in the gym to even get to the level they are at, but they still injected themselves with it. Obviously the 1980s was the decade of the action heroes. And you had several actors trying to outdo each other in the box office field, so I think a lot of that had to do with them taking steroids too. Young guys looked up to people like Stallone and Arnie, and I can guarantee after walking out of either one of their movies these guys would have been saying things like 'shit did you see how huge Stallone was in Rambo II, he is heaps bigger compared to him in First Blood'

Okay I think I went on a bit of a rant there, WOOPS!

I don't want to go into too much detail with everything that happens in this documentary because I know a lot of people who haven't seen it. Just do yourself a favour right now and watch it. You don't need to be a fan of sports to like it, because it is a very well made documentary that anyone can appreciate.




No comments:

Post a Comment